Written by Divinity Nutra, Updated on March 18, 2023
Inflammation is a natural bodily response to protect itself from infection and injury. However, sometimes the immune system triggers inflammation when there is no threat, leading to chronic diseases.
While conventional medications can alleviate symptoms, natural remedies for inflammation can provide an effective way to combat bodily inflammation at its source.
In this article, we will discuss 15 of the best natural home remedies for inflammation and swelling.
What is Inflammation?
Inflammation is a natural response of the immune system to harmful stimuli, such as pathogens, irritants, and damaged cells. It is a complex process that involves various signaling pathways and immune cells, and it plays a critical role in the body’s defense against infections and injuries.
Acute vs Chronic Inflammation
Acute and chronic inflammation are two types of the body’s immune response to harmful stimuli, each with unique signs and symptoms.
Acute inflammation is a rapid, short-term response that aims to eliminate the harmful agent and initiate the healing process.
Chronic inflammation is a prolonged and persistent response that can cause tissue damage and contribute to the development of various diseases.
Now, let’s dive into our list of the 15 best natural remedies for inflammation and swelling.
1. Turmeric and Curcumin
Turmeric has been used for centuries as a natural remedy to help fight inflammation. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, has been found to have strong anti-inflammatory properties by inhibiting certain enzymes that promote inflammation. Turmeric can be consumed in various forms, such as supplements, teas, or incorporated into meals, to help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Learn More: 10 Best Turmeric Curcumin Supplements for 2023
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has natural anti-inflammatory properties that help lower inflammation in the body. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can also help boost the immune system and improve gut health, which can further reduce inflammation. Additionally, apple cider vinegar is a natural detoxifier and can help remove toxins from the body, which can contribute to reduced inflammation.
- Learn More: 10 Best Apple Cider Vinegar Gummies for 2023
Elderberry is a good natural home remedy for inflammation due to its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It contains anthocyanins, flavonoids, and other phytochemicals that help reduce inflammation and swelling in the body. Elderberry also boosts the immune system, which helps the body fight off infections and diseases that may cause inflammation. It can be consumed in the form of tea, syrup, or supplements.
- Learn More: 10 Best Sambucus Elderberry Gummies for 2023
Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb that can help reduce inflammation in the body. It works by reducing the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines, while also increasing the production of anti-inflammatory cytokines. Additionally, it can help to reduce oxidative stress, which can also contribute to systemic inflammation.
Collagen is a protein found in our bodies that helps to strengthen and support the skin, bones, and joints. It can also be taken as a supplement and has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, helping to reduce inflammation in the body. Collagen may also help to improve skin health and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
6. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids are a type of polyunsaturated fat that has anti-inflammatory effects on the body. They can help reduce inflammation at home by inhibiting the production of pro-inflammatory molecules, such as cytokines and prostaglandins. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in foods like fatty fish, flaxseeds, chia seeds, and walnuts.
Garlic is a good natural remedy for inflammation due to its anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties. Garlic contains compounds such as allicin, which can help lower inflammation by inhibiting the production of inflammatory enzymes. Studies have also suggested that garlic can reduce inflammation in conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and atherosclerosis.
Ginger contains several bioactive compounds with potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which makes it an effective home remedy for inflammation. It has been found to suppress pro-inflammatory compounds and signaling pathways in the body, thereby reducing inflammation. Ginger can be consumed fresh, dried, or in supplement form to provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a compound that has anti-inflammatory properties. When applied topically, capsaicin can help reduce swelling and pain associated with inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and muscle strains. It may also help reduce inflammation in the digestive tract and improve blood circulation, which can have a positive effect on inflammation throughout the body.
Spirulina, a type of blue-green algae, is a good natural home remedy for inflammation due to its high antioxidant content and anti-inflammatory properties. It contains phycocyanin, which can also inhibit inflammatory molecule production in the body. Additionally, spirulina is rich in vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial compounds that can support overall health and wellness.
11. Vitamin D
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that has an essential role in maintaining good health. It is known for its ability to regulate calcium levels and promote healthy bones. However, research has shown that vitamin D also has anti-inflammatory benefits. By regulating the immune system and reducing inflammatory cytokines, vitamin D can help alleviate symptoms of inflammation and promote overall health.
12. Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that helps to reduce inflammation by neutralizing free radicals in the body. It also helps to stimulate the production of collagen, which is essential for maintaining healthy skin and reducing inflammation. Vitamin C can be found in a variety of fruits and vegetables, including citrus fruits, strawberries, kiwi, mangoes, bell peppers, and broccoli.
13. Black Pepper
Black pepper contains a compound called piperine, which possesses anti-inflammatory properties. Piperine inhibits the production of cytokines, which are pro-inflammatory molecules. Additionally, piperine can enhance the absorption of other anti-inflammatory compounds, such as curcumin in turmeric, making it an effective natural remedy for inflammation.
Ginseng is a root plant that has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries, particularly in traditional Chinese medicine. It contains compounds called ginsenosides that have potent anti-inflammatory effects on the body, making it a good home remedy for inflammation. Research has also shown that ginseng may help improve immune function and reduce oxidative stress, both of which can contribute to inflammation in the body. It can be consumed in supplement form or brewed into tea.
Cinnamon is a spice derived from the bark of Cinnamomum trees that has been used in traditional medicine for its anti-inflammatory properties. It contains compounds that decrease inflammation in the body by blocking pro-inflammatory cytokines. Cinnamon can be consumed as a supplement, added to food or drinks, or used topically as an essential oil to help fight inflammation.
Other Natural Remedies for Inflammation
There are several other natural home remedies you can use to reduce inflammation in the body: limit inflammatory foods, start an anti-inflammatory diet, and make basic lifestyle changes.
Limit Foods That Cause Inflammation
To reduce inflammation, it’s best to avoid inflammatory foods. Some of these foods that cause inflammation include:
- Fried foods: These are high in unhealthy fats that promote inflammation in the body.
- Refined carbs: Refined carbs, such as white bread, pastries, and pasta are high in sugar and can lead to inflammation.
- Alcohol: Consuming too much alcohol can increase inflammation throughout the body.
- Added sugars: Foods high in added sugars, such as soda and candy, can promote inflammation.
- Red and processed meats: These meats are high in saturated fats and have been linked to inflammation and other health problems.
- Dairy products: Dairy products can cause inflammation in some people, particularly those with lactose intolerance or a dairy allergy.
Start an Anti-inflammatory Diet
An anti-inflammatory diet is a way of eating that emphasizes foods that can help fight inflammation in the body. Some of the foods that reduce inflammation at home include:
- Fruits and vegetables: These are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can help fight inflammation.
- Whole grains: These are a good source of fiber, which can also help reduce inflammation.
- Healthy fats: Omega-3 fatty acids found in fatty fish, nuts, and seeds can help decrease inflammation. Olive oil, which is high in monounsaturated fats, can also be beneficial.
- Lean protein: Fish, poultry, beans, and legumes are all good sources of protein that can help lower inflammation.
- Herbs and spices: Certain herbs and spices, such as turmeric, ginger, and garlic, have anti-inflammatory properties and can be included in an anti-inflammatory diet.
Make Lifestyle Modifications
In addition to dietary changes, making certain lifestyle modifications can also help reduce bodily inflammation naturally. These modifications include:
- Regular exercise: Regular physical activity helps reduce inflammation and may also lower the risk of chronic diseases.
- Stress reduction: Chronic stress can lead to inflammation, so finding ways to manage stress through relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation, or deep breathing exercises can be helpful.
- Getting enough sleep: Chronic lack of sleep can also lead to inflammation. Getting enough high-quality sleep is important for reducing inflammation and promoting overall health.
- Maintaining a healthy weight: Inflammation and weight gain are closely linked. Maintaining a healthy weight through a balanced diet and regular exercise will help manage inflammation.
- Quitting smoking: Smoking is known to cause inflammation, so quitting smoking can lessen inflammation and enhance overall health.
- Avoiding exposure to toxins: Exposure to environmental toxins, such as air pollution and pesticides, can cause inflammation.
- Practicing good hygiene: Good hygiene practices, such as regular hand washing and proper wound care, can prevent infections and reduce inflammation.
Home Remedies for Inflammation: Final Thoughts
Many natural remedies for inflammation and swelling can provide effective relief without the use of medication. From natural anti-inflammatory supplements to basic lifestyle changes, these remedies can be used to manage discomfort and provide natural pain relief from home.
However, it’s important to remember that home remedies for inflammation may not be effective for all cases, and if symptoms persist or worsen, it’s best to seek the advice of a medical professional.